Thursday, May 17, 2012

Flea Market Finds

 So I've been told to document my travels, trips and finds to better connect with my customer.  Although doing what I do is time consuming in itself I will try to update you when I can and provide you with a little more insight to what I do, junking.  I guess that is what they call it these days I like to think of it as treasure hunting in a sea of unwanted goods.  In fact I think we all could benefit from taking a trip out to a flea market, you never know what you may find.  For me I buy things that have a good feel and then display them in my shop or booth so that you can see if there is something you cannot live without.  Here is a snap shot of my recent finds from a Tuesday trip to the flea market. 
 So what I have here is a basket with a handle such a great idea and have not seen on my travels before.  It amazes me, things that I have seen for the first time as I am out a lot looking for pieces.  This one holds small envelopes and money sorters which I am thinking of using for my tags as re purpose project (thanks Lonae).  Other items found here are an ammo box, round picture frames, metal wagon (red wheels) at the bottom of the stack, and a never used mirror.  The mirror I have had before but not  in the package still stapled to the cardboard.  Someone bought it and then took it home with them and then what?  It sat in bag or corner then something was placed on top of that then it got lost in the shuffle and never got to shine.  It will in my shop.   
The concrete kitty I just had to have even with the broker ear.  Ya it's a little heavy and broken down but still has some life in it.  I saw it on the floor and when the vendor sold it to me she told me it has no ear like she was going to change my mind.  Maybe she didn't want to sell it at all and take it back home with her but I had to have it so here it is.  The books about 50 of them are little blue books.  Each has a recipe for information on any given subject.  Some of the author titles on the books are quite amusing.  I looked them up on Ebay and some are selling for about $6 a copy depending on rarity.  Not my price of course.  I think they would look great framed and up on a wall or in a little cubby to give it a vintage spark. 
 The photo is missing the glass but still has great potential.  Even if no one knows who these folks are from the graduating class of 1947.  I would say maybe some are still around these days or not.  Being in the Mortuary business I would imagine is a slow paced field so I would think less stress means longevity, ah the stories they could tell.  Still had a friend look at it and he says he thinks one in the photo works and owns a San Leandro Mortuary.  Is it possible?  Tell you what whoever buys this piece can do the research and report back to me with the findings.
 This flag I found wonder what the history of it is?  The vendor couldn't tell me a thing about it although wrapped in plastic and folded nicely in a triangle.  Was it for a fallen hero?  Not sure.  The beauty of these pieces is who, what, where and how they came to be.  All mysteries.  Maybe that's what makes them so special.  I think I will unfold it carefully and hang it up on one of the walls in the shop so you can see it's intended beauty. 
Candlesticks, mirror to the right and this old suitcase.  The piece (suitcase) was loaded with old books from who knows what era.  I saw it in the back of the truck of a vendor like he was too tired to take it out and display the books.  It was just sitting there calling my name.  When I asked about it he was willing to climb into the covered shell of the truck to grab it for me.  Still had the handle and was pretty beat up but functional as a storage piece which he was using it for and so can you.  Great find and glad I asked about it.
 A closer look at those books I mentioned earlier.  Can you imagine on a display shelf in the bathroom.  And guess what reading material to kill some time. 
So here is the final group shot, say cheese.  I really love what I do and want to continue with this unusual craft of mine.  If you know someone who will benefit from reading this blog please pass it on to them and have them sign up as a follower.  I have 17 followers to date and want to expand my readership.  Happy junking (treasure hunting).  Cisco

2 comments:

  1. Very good...very personal...I think people will like it...connecting with you and what you do...Cisco...you are a hoot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - I would love to find those treasures ...you scored !

    ReplyDelete