Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Making a table from a window pane

 When Linda one of my customers purchased this window from me a few months back and asked me to make her a table out of it I was glad to obliged.  At the time I didn't realize what I was getting myself into or maybe did but wanted to take on the challenge.  I knew it wouldn't be easy.  As far as projects are concerned this one being medium to hard.  The results are to the say the least satisfying and the piece came out quite unique.  I think I out did myself on this project.  Although the whole process took me about 4 hours it can be done if you choose.  
 The first step of course was to find some legs for the table.  A feat in itself.  I scoured a few markets before I found these beauties.  They had the right look, just the right chippiness and just about the length I needed to attach to the window.  I ended up finding them at the Alameda Antique Fair.  The price a little higher than I wanted to pay but when you find something you like you have to react, it may not be there when you return.  One lesson I have learned at these markets.
 These are the tops of the legs all wood no particle or fabricated anything here.  I had to remove the hardware and check for nail fragments left behind by the previous owner.  Not sure what they came off of and the dealer who sold them to me didn't know either. 
 Here are the bottoms, they look just perfect well except for the bottom grade, all of the legs were uneven as though they came off a slightly slanted table.  Either way I was going to cut the bottoms to get them completely even. 
 I've shown you this before but this is my revolving wood stack of scraps.  I use it all the time and add to it from time to time.  Sometimes wood comes walking in the door, well not literally.  Sometimes I take a piece off another project and some of it I buy.  My only criteria, well two, it has to be 100% wood and it cannot be compromised with pests.
 After finding some wood to use for the sides and cutting the legs to be even on both sides I placed the legs exactly where I needed them to be.   Keeping in mind how to secure the sides, looks of the piece when completed and difficulty in doing those things. 
 After determining where I wanted the legs to go I took some measurements and cut the wood to fit, cutting four pieces two at 48" and two at 14".  Here is the way I attached the pieces to the bottom of the window.  I think they call this counter sink but don't quote me on that.  I used a special drill bit to start the holes at an angle.  I used 3 screws on each side and I used recycled screws which I have tons of.  These flat heads I used are harder to work with, I should know I have a blister to prove it but I wanted the piece to be all from recycled materials all the way down to the screws.
 So I started with one board and then loosely place the leg back to see how it came together, use it as a guide.  Then make a mark on the window for location just in case the board moves and screw in your next piece.  Use the leg to double check your work before you add all of the screws, trust me on this one you will save yourself some time.  Things move and it will keep your sanity to a controllable level.

To give the table further support and to have a piece to attach the legs to I added these braces to each corner.  I used a piece of wood from the original wood and cut it at a 45 degree angel.  I used 6 screws for each brace, 4 to attach the side pieces and 2 for the legs right down the middle.  Yes probably overkill but I wanted to make sure the piece was built with solid construction.

 Here you see I work my way around the piece attaching each leg one at a time and then moving on to the next leg and side.  I just wanted to make sure it was even at all ends and doing it this way was easiest for me. 
 My chop saw came in handy for this project including cutting the legs even, sides of the table and the braces.  I use it all the time and it was my best purchase to date other than the trailer I currently own.
 After I finished adding all of the legs I turned the piece over.  It would be the first time I would see it the way it should be seen 4 hours later.  Yes I am slow especially when I work on something new to me and it is a custom order.  The customer wanted me to attach a glass door knob which she provided.  Of course the knob broke in the process when I attached the dowel.  Note to self tell customer and be extremely careful when using a glass knob in the future.  Here is the replacement knob I will be using.  I drilled a hole, added a dowel and will glue it once I get the customers approval.
 Doesn't it look good, the knob that is, the new one, right, everybody?  Come on back me up on this one.
 So here is the final product displayed of course with some garden accessories.  I am pleased with the results and sure the customer will be as well.  And in case you were wondering no it doesn't wobble.
 Here is the side view now if I could just bottle this up I could make some money.  Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Just saw this Cisco. Beautiful table. You could do classes...make some money teaching DIY.

    ReplyDelete