Sunday, December 25, 2011

A day at the Flea Market

The day was Tuesday and although I didn't really have the money to do so I needed a shopping fix, so off to the Flea Market I went.  Thank you to my wife Donna for kicking down some extra cash out of the kitty otherwise I would have been painting, gluing, or repurposing something that day instead.  Some days you can go out and find very little and other days tons of things, you just never know.  Question: why are the best flea markets in the worse part of town?  Here is a photos of my empty vehicle, not for long though.     
 In case you are wondering what these wirery things are they are called shopping carts.  My mother used one when we were kids and yes they have been referred to as grandma carts but call me a grandma if you must they work and I use one.  When I am out yes I do get some looks but who cares they are easy on the hands and if you shop as much as I do it is crucial that you own one. 
 Here I am paying to get into the Flea Market, I took this picture to show off my profile, as you can see my beer belly is coming back.  Even when I wear dark colored clothing (suppose to hide the fat) it still shines through.  I guess I should start eating better, no more McDonald's and Budweiser, it's bad for the waste line.   Maybe if I just suck it in for the photos no one would ever know.  Who cares?
 Here is a lady off the street she wandered into the photo.  Kidding she is my friend, shopping buddy, counselor, junk food buddy (McDonald's on Thursday), and a great cook.  Her name is Lonae and a great guidance counselor.  Doesn't charge much and if you mention this ad she will take off $10, really all kidding aside she has been a great inspiration and has shown me the ropes.  Here we are with our carts still empty but waiting to be filled.
 This is a snap shot of the Flea Market.  Hustle and bustle well for a Tuesday not a bad turn out.  Less shoppers and more for me, I mean us (Lonae).  Everyone is out looking for something, tools, t-shirts, socks, jewelry, bikes and who knows what else?  If you can imagine it, I am sure it has probably been sold here.  I think everyone should check out a Flea Market if you never have.  A piece of advice try going during the week instead.  Weekend markets are filled with newer merchandise that originated in some other country, not good. 
 Here is my first find of the day.  Not spectacular but worth the $1 I spent on it.  It appears to have been a wine box.  I think with a fresh coat of white paint a little sanding and something stenciled on it like "storage or misc." I can resell this neglected box.  It is still functional and would look quite nice on a shelf or a desk to remove clutter.  Either way it's mine to do with what I please.  Goodbye wine box hello storage box.
 Another great find I think I paid $2 for this not made in America photo frame with no glass to the left.  Really it's not a frame but a chalkboard in the making.  I will strip it down, repaint it and then add a wood insert and using chalk paint it will make a nice addition to someones home office, bedroom or just about anywhere you need a reminder or note. 
 Sometimes you have to look hard to find the small things.  Most people just glance and scan a vendors area.  You can really find some treasures in these boxes and tubs.  I said it before and I will say it again take a buddy to shop with.  It really forces you to slow down when you have to wait for them (sorry Lonae), that's when you find things like this, old vintage door knobs.  There were four of them and I took them all, a real treasure at $1 a piece.  I saw a project with these.  Someone made them into place card holders.  Maybe I will do the same or not they just look nice, old and chippy.  Thanks again Lonae.
 Another great piece I purchased was this wooden shelf in the background, and you thought it was the red purse not so.  I have since finished the piece and it did take a little extra effort on my part.  One of the spools was missing, one broken so I had to take it apart pull off some spools patch some holes sand and paint but worth the $7 I paid for it.  You should see it now it looks great and ready for purchase at my store at Restore & Rework, Castro Valley (had to plug it).
 Was a very windy and cold day, look out!  Their tent fell over, should have used weights.  I have noticed in this business of selling very few invest in there business.  There are basics, tents, weights, tables.  Yes it all costs money but you can find most items even here at the flea market.  So now their tent is ruined could have been worse I guess, fake luggage not ruined. 
 My best find by far was this rusty metal rolling cart.  The vendor who sold it to me was using it as a storage for the tiles he was selling.  Not really 100% sure he want to give it up but he did and I bought it.  It came in real handy for the rest of the day since I used it to continue my shopping adventure.  It would make a great serving cart for a bbq or outdoor party.  Are you thinking what I am thinking Margarita station, tequila, yes I can see it now.  On the other hand one could use it to repot plants, I can see clay pots on it with a bag of soil and garden tools hanging off of the handle.  I love it either way. 
 This is me at the end of the day with all of my purchases.  I picked up an old ladder and a vintage storage box (will need some work as well) by the way I filled it as well with other items you will have to wait and see at my upcoming Vintage Faire January 14, 2012 (plug). 
 My SUV now filled with items from Lonae and myself.  Great treasures to be found at the Flea Market.  Oh and some advice to all who have not been to a Flea Market.  Never leave any valuables in your trunk or your car when shopping at the Flea.  Always bring change dollars are best.  Once I had to walk on a $1 item when I only had a $20 in my pocket and the vendor had no change.  Bring water and good walking shoes.  Be respectful to the vendor it pays off, trust me on this one.
After a long day, well only 3 hours we were hungry so off the Nation's Burger we went.  Now I know where that belly of mine in coming from not McDonald's as I suspected it's must be Nation's.  Next time I'll get the salad.  Happy holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I feel like I spent the day with the two of you. I love all of the things you filled you van with. I would love to see pictures of what you did with your finds. Looking forward to the next trip to the flea market with you!

    ReplyDelete