Sunday, June 15, 2014

Just Junk


A few weeks ago I was asked to create a few things for the garden from a vendor friend of mine.  Lydia, who sells succulents out of my shop was doing a plant show in San Francisco and wanted me to make a few things for her display at the show.  I obliged and decided use "just junk" for my creations, it's the only thing I do really.  I couldn't find any inspiration on the Internet nor the countless magazines I own so I just started creating.  First I started with a piece of recycled redwood fencing and then a rusty whatever and it began to take form slowly.  I knew once I got started I wouldn't be able to stop, yes I lost track of time.  Here's what I came up with.  All of the items I created were found objects lying around the shop for past few months.  I encourage you to read this blog and take in all the pictures and be inspired by my ideas and create something on your own.  If you need some help stop by the shop and I will help you.  Enjoy. 
 
 
 
 

 A frame, siding from a Jacuzzi tub, rusty shovel, hardware and a funnel all things I love.  The plants and the back round provided for the shoot came from Lydia of course.
 
 Bakers pans and the wood from a greenhouse tear down.  Really you could plant anything in here.  My design is much better than the overseas stuff you find at the big ticket stores and with much more appeal.






 


 
 
Here is a funnel used with a piece of burl wood. Hang it on the wall and add your favorite plant.


 
 One of my favorites is this redwood gutter on wood.  A rarity to find redwood gutters these days.  Most have been replaced with metal so this piece is a little special.  This piece has other uses, for example mail storage on the wall or to store keys and phone when you walk in the door.

 
 



 Another funnel used, guess I have a thing for these.  This one I put on a piece of chippy wood with some other found objects.
 
 













A faux birdhouse used, it gives the piece some depth.  Right?




 
 
The final product.  I have a thing for numbers and letters so I added them for interest.


 
 
 

















 An old sifter now houses a plant with other objects on a piece of Pickett fence.
 
 










Here's the final product.





Wood and metal with clay pot. 


 
 
 Here's a wooden shoe attached to a piece of redwood fencing.  I only had one of these so it just seemed right to use it after all I would never find a match.




 
 
 Fencing and a rusty bakers pan.  I used a metal drill bit to cut through the pan and used some screws to attach, all  were recycled screws to boot.
 
 

 
 
 
 I find these galvanized containers everywhere.  I think Trader Joe's sells them with plants in them.  The plants die off and they get tossed or donated.  I attached a couple to a fencing board along with a hand float just to the left (not shown).

















Here is some rusty hardware and an attached watering can to piece of siding from an teardown greenhouse. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
All of these creations could be hung on a fence outdoors and then replaced with your favorite plant for the seasons.
 
 
 
 
Another piece I made using half a rusty bucket attached to an old cabinet door. I added the  chalkboard paint maybe it will help the plant grow faster, remember what they say talk to your plants.


 
 
 My last one using a window pane, chicken wire, vintage bottles and wire wrapped to hold them to the chicken wire.


 
 






 
 
Seriously you can create your own pieces using the same materials or ones of similar to these.  Let you creative energy flow and make your own one of kind piece.  Really folks it's not rocket science, think rust, wood, metal and something to hold a plant.  You can do it.  Cisco

No comments:

Post a Comment